Covid-19 support update

posted 21 Apr 2020, 03:13 by Clerk   [ updated 21 Apr 2020, 03:14 ]

Just a Reminder about the Local Community Responses aimed at supporting residents through the Covid-19 pandemic:


§  ‘Support Bromsgrove’ – For anyone in need or would like to offer their help in their local area within Bromsgrove District

Please find attached a poster to help promote this new website set up by BARN (our local volunteer centre), who is working with local voluntary and community groups, including our three local foodbanks.  This links to the Bromsgrove Community Support Facebook Group (  Information of all local community schemes working across different Parishes / Villages (including ‘Love Rubery’) are also included on the website to try and help connect the full range of local community support out there. 


  • ‘Support Redditch’ – For anyone in need or would like to offer their help in their local area within Redditch Borough

Just a reminder that in Redditch there is the ‘Support Redditch Emergency Network’, known as Support Redditch (or SREN).  It is a community-organised network of community groups and volunteers across Redditch which has been granted charitable status as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO).


§  ‘Here2Help Worcestershire’ - Launched as One Worcestershire’s community action response.

Here2Help is a communication campaign as well as a dedicated response service for all residents who ask for help and those individuals and organisations who offer to help.  It aims to complement the national scheme to support those individuals extremely vulnerable to becoming severely ill from Covid-19 (our shielded cohort) and the NHS Volunteer Responders.  As you will be aware, Districts are linking into this and information of local community support across the six Districts in Worcestershire (including Support Redditch and Support Bromsgrove) is contained within the Here2Help Worcestershire database.


Other Local Information:


§  Age UK Bromsgrove, Redditch & Wyre Forest wants everybody to know that, although its team are now working from home, it is continuing to ensure that local people have access to information, advice and support by operating a Telephone Information and Advice service.  To access the service, call 01527 570490, leave your contact details (along with a message) and member of the team will call you back at the earliest opportunity.  The team can also be contacted via email ( and via a Contact Form on the website (  Local partners and agencies can also now refer clients to Age UK BRWF using a new Online Referral Form within the Partner Portal section of its website (


§  Targeted Family Support and Early Intervention Family Support services have paused providing support to families at this time.  Instead, parents and families needing support should contact the Worcestershire Starting Well service using the following link . There is the option to complete a form to self-refer to the service and also links to other advice, information and support around parenting and issues relating to children at this time.


§  Redditch Borough Council VCS Grants Pot – just a reminder to VCS groups working in Redditch, there is still a chance to apply for funding during this time.  The deadline for applications for the Financial Advice and Problem solving Grant worth £50k for three years (£150k in total) is 4pm on Friday 24th April.  The deadline for the main VCS Grants Pot for grants of up to £5k is 4pm on Friday 1st May.  Application forms can be downloaded using this link,-funding,-finance/grants-and-funding/voluntary-and-community-sector-funding.aspx.  Completed applications can be sent to


§  Updates from the Local Government Association  – Domestic Abuse - From 9th April, people fleeing domestic abuse anywhere in Britain during the COVID-19 restrictions can apply for free train travel to refuge accommodation, through a partnership between train companies and Women’s Aid. The ‘Rail to refuge' scheme lets domestic abuse survivors, and their children, access rail tickets through the member services of Women’s Aid and Imkaan, once they have received an offer of a refuge place.  Also, in addition to the Government guidance on domestic abuse, other key resources include:

·         a Safe Lives guide for victims and survivors of domestic abuse staying safe during COVID-19  

·         Respect’s #NoExcuseforAbuse campaign, which calls on perpetrators of domestic abuse to get help to manage and change their behaviour

·         the Employer’s Initiative on Domestic Abuse help for employees when home is not a safe place.

·         Surviving Economic Abuse have produced guidance on economic abuse while self-isolating, as well as practical issues including benefits and sick pay. The guidance is updated regularly as the situation changes.

·         Domestic Abuse Housing Alliance (DAHA) has produced guidance for housing providers on how to offer safe responses to tenants/service users where it’s known they are living with domestic abuse or where new concerns arise. The guidance also includes information on how to conduct the Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC) process. MARACs are a victim focused information sharing and risk management meeting attended by all key agencies, where high risk cases are discussed. There are wider resources available on the DAHA website, to help support victims of domestic abuse.

·         Lastly, OnePlusOne has free a digital platform that councils can use to encourage members of the public to get helpful advice for themselves on relationship issues such as parental conflict and arguing constructively. They are currently working on a series of supportive articles aimed to help people manage the challenging times ahead – be it social distancing, managing stress or co-parenting.


§  DWP Udates – some more useful updates have been sent out from the DWP

·          New page to replace Understanding UC Coronavirus and claiming benefits page - DWP’s employment and benefits support  These pages have additional information and will help answer lots of the questions partners are asking. Please visit this new Employment and benefits support site regularly to keep up to date with the latest guidance and messages on sick pay, existing benefit claims, new claims to benefit, self-employment, housing and more. This site covers all the changes DWP is making to respond to coronavirus – not just to Universal Credit. It also includes a Frequently Asked Questions section.


·         People making new claims for Universal Credit will no longer need to call the Department as part of the process.

For those who have not seen already, please see attached the press release following the Secretary of State announcement today regarding the way we are handling Universal Credit claims


§  North Worcestershire Economic Development and Regeneration Team  - has released their latest Business news bulletin.  See here for the website  

New Homes Bonus Community Grants

posted 9 Apr 2020, 03:19 by Clerk

The New Homes Bonus Community Grant Scheme will be open from 10th May. For more information please click on the link below:


posted 6 Apr 2020, 05:13 by Clerk

We would like to express our thanks to all residents who are helping relatives and neighbours during these challenging times and hope you are able to continue to do so.

If you are in need of help or know someone who needs help or you would like to offer your assistance, please contact:

Life Central Church in partnership with Hagley Parish Council are able to help, please call 0121 501 3542 or email


Worcestershire Here2Help website ( which is the County website where anyone in Worcestershire can register if they are in need of support or would like to offer their help. BDC, RBC, BARN and others are working with colleagues at the County Council to try and help ensure co-ordination locally.


‘Support Bromsgrove’ – For anyone in need or would like to help across Bromsgrove District during this COVID-19 outbreak BARN (local volunteer centre) has set up this new website, working with local voluntary and community groups, including three local foodbanks. The telephone number and email address for anyone in need of support is linked to the Bromsgrove Community Support Facebook Group ( which has over 4000 members.

Corona Virus

posted 3 Apr 2020, 04:59 by Clerk

Telephone: 0121 501 3542 or email

If you are self-isolating due to COVID-19 or are in a particularly vulnerable category (i.e. elderly or with underlying health conditions), Lifecentral Church in partnership with Hagley parish Council can help with:

Picking-up shopping/prescriptions 
A phone call
Posting mail 
Pet support 
Other urgent supplies

Hagley Playing Fields Play Equipment

posted 24 Mar 2020, 05:35 by Clerk

The Playing fields are still open, however the younger children's play area, gym equipment, zip wire and swing and the skate park are currently closed.

Please doe not use any of this equipment.

Hagley Census

posted 2 Mar 2020, 01:42 by Clerk

A big THANK YOU to all the Hagley residents who participated with the Hagley Census 2020!

Over 1,000 households responded to the Census – a response rate of just over 40% which is fantastic!

The Neighbourhood Plan Group will get the data back to analyse in mid-March to help inform the neighbourhood plan. Watch this space for some of the headlines!

Cleaner domestic burning of solid fuels and wood

posted 27 Feb 2020, 05:05 by Clerk

DEFRA has released information regarding cleaner domestic burning of solid fuels and wood, following a consultation carried out in 2018. This BBC article provides an overview and the full consultation response is on the DEFRA website

This may well be generating some interest in your wards/parishes.  


Changes will mean:

  • Sales of bagged traditional house coal will be phased out by February 2021, and the sale of loose coal direct to customers will end by 2023
  • Sales of wet wood in small units (less than 2m3) will be phased out required to have a moisture content of 20% or less from February 2021. Small foresters have until February 2022 to become compliant. Wet wood in volumes greater than 2m3 will also have to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning
  • Makers of solid fuels will also need to show they have a very low sulphur content and only emit a small amount of smoke.


It is not banning wood or coal burning stoves.


The reasons behind this legalisation and other advice around burning the right things in the right way is to reduce the risk of:

·         air pollution and associated health problems

·         carbon monoxide poisoning

·         chimney fires/house fires


Worcestershire Regulatory Services are responsible for providing technical support in respect of air quality in Bromsgrove and Redditch and have some links on their ‘Smokeless Zones’ page to useful information for anyone with a solid fuel appliance/wood burner, whether or not they are in a smokeless zone.


posted 27 Feb 2020, 05:03 by Clerk

Jubilee Gardens

posted 27 Jan 2020, 05:18 by Clerk

Jubilee Garden gets a much-needed makeover
In September last year, Life Central Church worked in collaboration with Hagley Parish Council to carry out a makeover of the long-neglected Jubilee Garden.

The Jubilee Garden, located on the Worcester Road (B4187) aka 'Hagley High Street', was originally established in 1977 by the local Gardening Club in celebration of Her Majesty's Silver Jubilee. It had become sadly neglected over a number of years but In May last year, HPC was contacted by Life Central Church who was offering volunteer time to carry out some works in the village to mark their 40th year anniversary, HPC accepted their offer and the Jubilee Garden was identified as a suitable area and the makeover was planned. Webbs Garden Centre of Hagley kindly donated over £100 worth of perennial plants and shrubs with HPC and other individuals making other financial contributions. Now the garden is re-established with some beautiful bee-loving plants and shrubs that are fairly low maintenance and will be a pleasure to behold for many years to come.

Police update

posted 8 Jan 2020, 00:40 by Clerk

Police report given by PCSO Ryan East, at HPC meeting on 16/12/19.


Sage advice to residents for the winter months


1.       Ensure all valuables are removed from vehicles and that you LOCK YOUR CAR. The police are called to many car break-in’s where valuables are left out and cars are not locked.

2.       DON’T leave your car ticking over & ‘warming up’ on these cold and frosty mornings! Opportunistic thieves will take advantage of the un-occupied vehicle. The police are patrolling from 5am during these winter months; if your car is seen ‘running and unoccupied’, the keys will be removed and taken to Rubery police station where you will be required to go to collect them. Also, please note, there is no insurance cover if your car is stolen under these circumstances.

3.       Although burglaries have reduced of late in the area, there tends to be an increase over the Christmas/New Year period due to presents being visible and houses left dark with no-one home. Please ensure you leave a light on, on a timer if possible, and an alarm set.

4.       Do not leave boxes that contained Christmas presents outside for all to see the catalogue of presents you have received. Break up the boxes and put them in your recycling bin.

5.       Scammers – fraudulent telephone calls are on the increase again, from scammers claiming to be from HMRC and the Police. Report this to Action Fraud on 0330 123 2040 Monday to Fri 8am to 8pm. For all other scams call Citizens Advice Bureau for where to go, on 03444 111 444 or go on line to for other scammer reporting. The National Crime Agency deal with scammers on a larger scale and residents can register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) on 0345 070 0707 or call your telephone service provider and register for the call blocking service. There are also call blocking facilities on mobile phones and your service provider can also help.


West Mercia Police – behind the scene



West Mercia Police are currently undertaking a recruitment drive for Hagley and Rubery SNT to achieve more coverage. Still resources are limited especially in the North of Worcestershire and in the more rural areas with resources being pulled more into the towns. This gives rise and more opportunity to offenders from Organised Crime Groups (OCG’s) in the neighbouring West Midlands area which represents the source of 99% of crime committed in our local area.


There is close collaboration between Constabularies of West Mercia and West Midland’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and officers looking at criminal ring operations. The last operation in Hagley saw 4 males arrested and charged for burglaries.


Shop theft

Crime in shops will increase over the Christmas period, due to poverty. The Co-Op do have good CCTV and criminals are reported on the constabularies ‘Wanted’ galleries but cannot be publicised whilst investigations are taking place.


Stop & Search powers

Stop & Search (S&S) powers have reduced since government changed the law in 2010. They are now tight and stringent and must only be carried out on reasonable grounds. Every S&S carried out by police officers gets scrutinised and a police officer can be suspended and the case investigated for one mistake of S&S.



Community speed watch are working with Cllr Colella to reduce speeding on the Birmingham Road (A456) aka Hagley Hill.


Hagley Playing Fields

The area is monitored by the police when resources allow. The officers try to chat to the youths and identify the troublesome ones and target the ring-leaders. The area did quieten down over the summer months and the work is on-going.


Haybridge High School work closely with the school in notifying them of any troublesome students so that the police can talk to them. The police are seeking to identify irresponsible cyclists and their first action would always be to educate them about the dangers.


Photographing of minors is not allowed unless there is a legitimate reason for doing so, i.e. for ID.  Imagery software is not used locally.


Reporting incidents to the Police

You should call 101 if you want to talk to your local police officer, get crime prevention advice, or report a crime that does not need an emergency response, for example:

  • if your car has been stolen
  • if your property has been damaged
  • if you suspect drug use or dealing
  • if you want to report a minor traffic collision
  • if you want to give the police information about crime in your area


                Always call 999 if:

  • someone is threatened or in danger.
  • a crime is happening
  • someone suspected of a crime is nearby
  • someone is injured


The PCSO and PC mobile telephone numbers put up on notice boards are NOT for reporting, but rather for If you have a query or want to chat something through. Ensure all incidents are reported first to 101.





1-10 of 26