News‎ > ‎

Message from West Mercia Police - Reporting a crime

posted 22 May 2018, 04:17 by Clerk

Reporting Incidents

Please do not report crime or other incidents via Twitter or other forms of Social Media ? Please call 101 or 999 in an emergency. Additional information is often required by officers in order for the police to act upon any information given. 

Please view the advice below on which number you should ring. 

999 is for reporting emergency situations only; below is a helpful mnemonic to remember when to use it. 

P - Phone 999 only if 
O - Offenders are nearby 
L - Life is at risk 
I - Injury is caused or threatened 
C - Crime or disorder is in progress 
E - Emergency situations 

What is 101? 

101 is now the number to call when you want to get through to your local police when it is less urgent than 999. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls to 101 from land lines and mobile networks cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call or how long you are on the phone. 

When should I use 101? 

If you have had a minor traffic collision. 
If your property has been damaged. 
If your car has been stolen. 
If you suspect drug dealing. 
If you have been burgled and there are no offenders on scene. 
If you have witnessed a crime. 
If you have information about criminals in your local area. 
If you have seen a missing person. 
If you need crime prevention advice. 
If you want to speak to a local police officer/ your local Safer Neighbourhood Team. 
If you want to speak to the police about any other incident that doesn't require an immediate response. 
If you want to make us aware of any policing issues in your local area. 

What happens when you call 101? 

When you call 101, you will be greeted by an automated system that will automatically identify your location and offer you the option of being connected to your local police force. 

If you would like a different force you will be given the option to speak to an operator to select your chosen area. Your call will be answered by police contact handlers in the control room of that local police force. 

If you are anywhere in the UK you can still dial 101 and you will be given the option of speaking to police contact handlers within West Mercia. If your selection is not correct, you will be given the option to speak to an operator.